In just a short time, you can learn how to use PHP, MySQL, and Apache together to create dynamic, interactive websites and applications using the three leading open-source web development technologies.
Using a straightforward, step-by-step approach, each lesson in this book builds on the previous ones, enabling you to learn the essentials of PHP scripting, MySQL databases, and the Apache web server from the ground up.
Regardless of whether you run Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X, the enclosed CD includes a complete starter kit that lets you install all the software you need to set up a stable environment for learning, testing, and production.
Learn how to…
- Install, configure, and set up the PHP scripting language, the MySQL database system, and the Apache Web server
- Get these technologies to work together to create a dynamic, database-backed website
- Interact with MySQL using PHP
- Work with forms and files
- Create a web-based discussion forum or mailing list
- Add a storefront and shopping cart to your site
- Optimize your MySQL databases
- Fine-tune the Apache server’s performance
- Restrict access to your applications
- Set up a secure web server
- A complete PHP, MySQL, and Apache starter kit for Windows®, Linux®, or Mac® OS X.
Julie C. Meloni is the technical director for i2i Interactive (http://www.i2ii.com), a multimedia company located in Los Altos, California. She has been developing web-based applications since the Web first saw the light of day and remembers the excitement surrounding the first GUI web browser. She has authored numerous books and articles on web-based programming
languages and database topics, and you can find translations of her work in 15 different languages. She is also a fervent blogger and is the author of Sams Teach Yourself Blogging in a Snap. Most days, Julie can be found wandering the halls of Avery Hall on the campus of Washington State University, where she is a Ph.D. student in English who is quite interested in digital/social scholarship in the humanities.