MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance: Microsoft SQL Server 2008--Implementation and Maintenance (Microsoft Press Training Kit) (英語) ペーパーバック – 2009/2/28
Kindle 端末は必要ありません。無料 Kindle アプリのいずれかをダウンロードすると、スマートフォン、タブレットPCで Kindle 本をお読みいただけます。
EXAM PREP GUIDE Ace your preparation for the skills measured by MCTS Exam 70-432—and on the job. Work at your own pace through a series of lessons and reviews that fully cover each exam objective. Then, reinforce and apply what you’ve learned through real-world case scenarios and practice exercises. This official Microsoft study guide is designed to help you make the most of your study time.
Maximize your performance on the exam by learning to:
- Configure, manage, back up, and restore databases
- Create a partitioned table, index, or indexed view
- Configure services and components to manage your environment
- Help prevent unauthorized access at each security infrastructure layer
- Design and deploy high-availability solutions
- Manage SQL Server Agent jobs, alerts, and operators
- Identify service, concurrency, and job execution problems
PRACTICE TESTS Assess your skills with the practice tests on CD. You can work through hundreds of questions using multiple testing modes to meet your specific learning needs. You get detailed explanations for right and wrong answers—including a customized learning path that describes how and where to focus your studies.
Your kit includes:
- 15% exam discount from Microsoft. (Limited time offer). Details inside.
- Official self-paced study guide.
- Practice tests with multiple, customizable testing options and a learning plan based on your results.
- 250+ practice and review questions.
- Case scenarios, exercises, and best practices.
- Sample chapters from related Microsoft Press® books.
- 180-day trial of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition.
- Fully searchable eBook of this guide.
Mike Hotek is a SQL Server® expert with three decades' experience as a consultant and solution developer. He has written several books, including Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Step by Step.
The exercises are well laid out and easy enough to follow (I assume they are easier to follow if you are installing in a similar environment).
Comes with practice tests and review questions as well as a copy of the book in PDF. These are probably worth the purchase of the book alone.
The installation exercise only covers Windows XP; an antiquated OS that differs a bit from its successors and Windows Server 2008 (which I was installing on). You've got to be aware of the naming and organization changes in a more current OSs.
Does not cover R2 (There are differences with the installation process from the original release)
Definitions and explanations of terms are almost non-existent. On top of that key concepts are not pointed out at all. You have no idea what to pay attention to for the reviews. You will have to backtrack, but it's pointless because nothing is explained anyway.
So should you buy this book? Probably if you are going to take the exam, but you should probably look for other books to supplement this text. Look for something that has more explanation of key concepts. I'm currently investigating other books to do this.
I have owned several books from this author and have always been happy. So I was a little disappointed that this book seemed to be sub par in the accuracy and editing department. I purchased this book in December 2009, so there was plenty of time to update the book and the CDROM with a new version.
It is a good overview of SQL 2008 and did give me a road map for topics to study, from other sources.
Go ahead and buy it, it's the cheapest way to get a sample exam, and does provide a decent overview of the topics. And you get a 15% off coupon for the Microsoft Exam. Just be sure to look stuff up with Microsoft.
In the end, I did pass my exam on the first try.