Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life (英語) ハードカバー – 2018/10/2
Kindle 端末は必要ありません。無料 Kindle アプリのいずれかをダウンロードすると、スマートフォン、タブレットPCで Kindle 本をお読みいただけます。
The instant New York Times bestseller
Supermodel and philanthropist Gisele Bündchen shares personal stories, insights, and photos to explore lessons that have helped shape her life.
Gisele Bündchen's journey began in southern Brazil, growing up with five sisters, playing volleyball, and rescuing the dogs and cats around her hometown. In fact, she wanted to become either a professional volley player or a veterinarian. But at the age of 14, fate suddenly intervened in in the form of a modeling scout, who spotted her in São Paulo. Four years later, Gisele's appearance in Alexander McQueen's memorably rain-soaked London runway show in the spring 1998 launched her spectacular career as a fashion model, and put an end to the "heroin chic" era of fashion. Since then, Gisele has appeared in almost 400 ad campaigns and on over 1200 magazine covers. She has walked in more than 470 fashion shows for the most influential brands in the world. Gisele has become an icon, leaving a lasting mark on the fashion industry.
But until now, few people have gotten to know the real Gisele, a woman whose private life stands in dramatic contrast to her public image. In Lessons, she reveals for the first time who she really is and what she's learned over the past 37 years to help her live a meaningful life--a journey that takes readers from a childhood spent barefoot in small-town Brazil, to an internationally successful career, motherhood and marriage to quarterback Tom Brady.
A work of great openness and vulnerability, Lessons reveals the inner life of a very public woman.
Gisele Bündchen is one of the most famous supermodels of all time. Known globally for her business savvy, her philanthropy, and her advocacy for environmental protection, she has been listed by Forbes as one of the Most Powerful Women in the World and among the world's most generous celebrities. She has served as Goodwill Ambassador of the UNEP (United Nations Environment Program), and was named by Harvard University as a Global Environmental Citizen in recognition of her eco-efforts. She lives near Boston with her husband, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, their children, and their dogs. Her profits from this book will go to Luz Foundation, which Bündchen created in 2007 to support social and environmental causes.
What I did enjoy is that for someone who has played a stereotype, the supermodel, who publicly usually says very little - Gisele’s advice comes from the heart and she means well by it all, having gone through some trying times in her early career.
If the book is filed under biographies, then perhaps it’s not as deep on this label as I would have liked it to have been, as the timeframes are not particularly chronological.
The end result is a quick and easy read, and Bündchen writes what could be best be described as a self help book with a strong autobiographical element and hey, it is a comfort to see that even the rich and successful have problems like the rest of us.
The question is that will 2019 make (m)any of us brave enough to sort ourselves out?
4 stars for the life advice, 3 stars for the autobiographical element.
Her wisdom is laid out in simple ways, showing that the formula for a balanced life doesn't need to be that different, that we are all souls seeking the same things in life.
Her work to protect the environment and life of our current and next generations is inspiring and shows that we can all take simple steps to get to a better place.
Outside of the catwalk, Gisele also seems to have it all. She has a beautiful and supportive family, leads a healthy lifestyle and, on top of all that, happens to be a millionaire - on her own merit. Before reading this book, little did I know that it was not always this way and such perfection requires an incredible amount of work, which means discipline and dedication.
This was the main lesson that Gisele learned and, because we all should know it, she decided to (try to) shortcut her audience's own learning process. Therefore, she presents us with the main lessons she figured out so far, despite her young age.
Following a brief introduction in which Gisele demystifies who she really is, creating a clear division between the real her and "the supermodel", you will have the opportunity to go along with her on her life journey. You will read about the main 8 lessons she uses to build a more conscious and joyful life. These are as follows:
1. It all starts with discipline. This chapter is about setting goals and, most importantly, committing to them and allocating all resources to achieve them.
2. Challenges are opportunities in disguise. Obstacles make us grow. We should not avoid them but embrace them with an open spirit.
3. The quality of your life depends on the quality of your relationships. While it is unrealistic and unfair to expect others to be just like us, we should set the tone for our relationships and clarify what we expect and are looking for. One should not settle for less nor tolerate incorrect behavior.
4. Our thoughts and words are powerful - use them wisely. Everything we think and say enacts a certain reaction. Words have power and it is a pity that we often do not realize this.
5. Where your attention goes is what grows. We can decide where to place our attention and focus on what really matters to us.
6. Nature: our greatest teacher. Gisele advocates for several environmental causes and prizes a deep connection with Mother Nature to increase life satisfaction.
7. Take care of your body so it can take care of you. This one is self-explanatory. Eat well, hydrate your body, exercise, get enough rest... After all, the body is our main house.
8. Know thyself. Basically, just know who you are and decide what kind of person you want to be. Be mindful and aware. Know what really matters to you.
As a lusophone and fan of Gisele since a young age, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I must confess I even shed some tears when Gisele talked about her dog Vida. Pets are indeed a blessing! I recommend it to you, if you want to read some valid common sense that we often tend to forget and an interesting life story full of ups and downs. Plus, Gisele’s profits from this book will go to her foundation, LUZ, which was created in 2007.
Should you be looking for some juicy details of her personal life, this book might not be for you. For that, I suggest a gossip rag. To be honest, her tips are quite ordinary and that is what makes them so efficient. So, if you are looking for unheard and brand-new advice, you might be disappointed. Finally, Gisele is an emotive and spiritual person. If you are not and do enjoy such type of writing, maybe you should not buy this book.