It is amazing to realize this is the only integral, complete recording of the American composer Howard Hanson's Symphonies. So much the better that the recordings are, without fail, simply outstanding. The earlier symphonies, especially No. 2, are rather well known, as are several of the additional works presented here, especially the Merry Mount Suite. The later symphonies, less so. This all makes the reward of this set so much the better. As well done as the more familiar works are, moving them to the head of the class, as it were, it is the revelation of the later, less well known works that gives pause. I especially suggest an immediate hearing of the Symphony No. 5. While I know this is subjective, I cannot help suggesting this to be amongst the most beautiful compositions ever written. It is so sublime that, like Mozart, it is hard to imagine it written by the hand of man.
It has been said Howard Hanson was a romantic whose style was tied to the 19th century. If that means he had the ability to write classically structured music in a uniquely American style, full of beauty and overflowing with love and hope, then I say "Hooray!" for those 19th Century ties!
Much credit must be given to conductor Gerard Schwarz for the loving attention he has obviously lavished on these recordings. And for the simply world-class performances offered by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra and the New York Chamber Symphony.
These wonderful recordings should be universally and permanently available to one and all.
It is shemeful they are not.
1. Symphony No. 1 In E Minor, 'Nordic': Andante solene; Allegro con forzo
2. Symphony No. 1 In E Minor, 'Nordic': Andante teneramente, con semplicita
3. Symphony No. 1 In E Minor, 'Nordic': Allegro con fuoco
4. Elegy In Memory Of Serge Koussevitsky
5. Symphony No. 2, 'Romantic': Adagio; Allegro moderato
6. Symphony No. 2, 'Romantic': Andante con tenerezza
7. Symphony No. 2, 'Romantic': Allegro con brio
1. Symphony No. 3: Andante lamentando-agitato
2. Symphony No. 3: Andante tranquillo
3. Symphony No. 3: Tempo scherzando
4. Symphony No. 3: Largamente e pesante
5. Fantasy Variations on a Theme of Youth
6. Symphony No. 6: Andante
7. Symphony No. 6: Allegro scherzando
8. Symphony No. 6: Adagio
9. Symphony No. 6: Allegro assai
10. Symphony No. 6: Adagio
11. Symphony No. 6: Allegro
1. Symphony No. 4, Op. 34, 'Requim': Kyrie (Andante inquieto)
2. Symphony No. 4, Op. 34, 'Requim': Requiescat (Largo)
3. Symphony No. 4, Op. 34, 'Requim': Dies irae (Presto)
4. Symphony No. 4, Op. 34, 'Requim': Lux aeterna (Largo pastorale)
5. Serenade For Flute, Harp And Strings, Op. 35
6. The Lament For Beowulf, Op. 25
7. Pastorale For Oboe, Harp And Strings, Op. 38
8. Suite From The Opera 'Merry Mount,' Op. 31: Overture(Lento)
9. Suite From The Opera 'Merry Mount,' Op. 31: Children's Dance (Allegro molto)
10. Suite From The Opera 'Merry Mount,' Op. 31: Love Duet (Largamente, molto espressivo)
11. Suite From The Opera 'Merry Mount,' Op. 31: Prelude To Act II And Maypole Dances (Allegro grazioso; Piu animato; Allegro Molto)
2. Piano Concerto In G, Opus 36: Lento molto e molto tranquillo - Allegro deciso
3. Piano Concerto In G, Opus 36: Allegro feroce, molto ritmico
4. Piano Concerto In G, Opus 36: Andante molto espressivo
5. Piano Concerto In G, Opus 36: Allegro giocoso
6. Symphony No. 5, 'Sinfonia Sacra,' Opus 43
7. Symphony No. 7, 'A Sea Symphony': Lo, The Unbounded Sea (Largamente)
8. Symphony No. 7, 'A Sea Symphony': The Untold Want (Adagio)
9. Symphony No. 7, 'A Sea Symphony': Joy, Shipmate, Joy! (Allegro molto - Molto meno mosso)
Amazon.com: 8 件のカスタマーレビュー
Five Stars2016年4月20日 - (Amazon.com)
I purchased this set as a gift to another musician who admires Hanson's output.
Five Stars2015年1月30日 - (Amazon.com)
A truly great American composer.
Roger D. Sims
Arrived in a timely manner and were in great shape.2015年3月24日 - (Amazon.com)
These are older recordings but fully met my expectations. Arrived in a timely manner and were in great shape.
A. Film Lover
Hanson is great - sound is not2018年9月25日 - (Amazon.com)
Hanson's music is fantastic and this is certainly a decent overview of the symphonies on Delos. I had all these as individual releases and wanted to love them but simply can't get past the boring and frankly annoying washy sound - no orchestral detail, no oomph, no low end, no high end - just a big bunch of nothing. There are finer performances in much finer sound for all of these. Seek them out, and don't be fooled by the Naxos reissues of this traversal - they are exactly the same as these.