Generations of college students and writers have learned the basics of English grammar from this short book. It was rated "one of the 100 most influential books written in English" by Time in 2011, and iconic author Stephen King recommended it as a grammar primer that all aspiring writers should read.
Written a century ago, Strunk's book is a nostalgic link to the Art Deco era and the Roaring Twenties. Many of the grammar rules listed in his book still apply today; but the English language has changed over the years, and some of these rules have are now obsolete. This Classic Edition addresses these changes with the following enhancements and additional content:
1. This 2018 update adds two new chapters requested by college professors and students: Basic Rules of Capitalization and Style Rules for Better Writing.
2. Editor's notes have been inserted throughout the book to flag grammar rules that are become obsolete and to provide up-to-date advice for students and writers.
3. Emojis have been added to help readers identify correct examples from errors at a glance.
4. A Study Guide is included in the last chapter, and the paperback version includes blank, lined pages in the back of the book for note taking.
5. The e-book version has been restyled for improved display on the latest generations of digital book-reading devices.
Elements of Style: Classic Edition 2018 gives students and writers a blueprint that they can follow to write clearly and effectively while learning the fundamental rules of English Grammar.
NOTE: Some courses may specify other versions of this book, such as Elements of Style 4th Edition by E.B. White, or Elements of Style 2017, which builds on Strunk's work and presents 500+ up-to-date grammar and style rules for students and writers. If your course requires one of these versions, use these links to obtain the correct book:
--The Elements of Style, 4th Edition (Strunk & White)
--Elements of Style 2017