The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers (英語) ハードカバー – 2002/11/1
Kindle 端末は必要ありません。無料 Kindle アプリのいずれかをダウンロードすると、スマートフォン、タブレットPCで Kindle 本をお読みいただけます。
Combining the authority of the AHS with the visual expertise of DK, this full-color gardening reference is the definitive guide for gardeners. Simply the definitive full-color reference to the horticulture of North America, AHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers contains more than 8,000 plant profiles, over 4,250 photographs, and practical advice on everything from cultivation, pests, and diseases, to plant selection and identification
The American Horticultural Society educates and inspires people of all ages to become successful and environmentally responsible gardeners by advancing the art and science of horticulture. The former director of the Royal Horticultural Society, Christopher Brickell is the editor-in-chief of DK's The AHS Encyclopedia of Gardening and co-author of AHS Society Pruning and Training.
Amazon.com で最も参考になったカスタマーレビュー (beta) （「Early Reviewer Program」のレビューが含まれている場合があります）
To give an overview of the structure of the book: The book has four main sections: An introduction to the book and gardening; recommended plants for different growing conditions; pictures of plants with brief descriptions organized by type, season, size, and color; and a very encompassing glossary of plants with brief text descriptions.
Below are some of the issues I have with this book:
1. The sun/shade icons are for "prefers full sun," "prefers partial shade," and "tolerates full shade." I think it would be much more useful to have something along the lines of: "requires full sun," "tolerates partial shade," and "tolerates full shade." This let's you know the harshest shade conditions that a plant can effectively manage. For example, in the "recommended plants" section of the book, the "dry shade" set of recommendations references several plants are shown later in the "picture" section of the book with the "full sun" icon because the plant prefers full sun although can tolerate partial shade. Looking through this book, I would not be able to determine that the plant tolerated shade other than that it was referenced in the "recommended plants". The "recommended plants" section is not all encompassing so there are probably several plants with a "full sun" icon that can tolerate shade that I won't know about by looking through this book.
2. The "picture" section, each plant helpfully has icons for shade, moisture, ph, toxicity, and zone. However, in the "glossary" section, this information is not nicely summarized. The "glossary" section contains several plants that are not contained in the "picture" section. Sometimes, the plant description doesn't say what the plants requirements are. For some genuses, the genus description will say, "thrives in full sun but some varieties can tolerate shade," and then none of the varietal descriptions will specify if they are shade tolerant. It would be nice to have this information consistently shown both in the "picture" section as well as the "glossary" section.
3. In the "picture" section, there are feature sections for particular types of plants, for example, hydrangea. These have a nice spread of photos of several varieties of the genus. However, these photos do not contain the basic information shade, moister, zone, etc. This makes it so the featured plants (which are very popular) have less information about them than the more obscure plants with a single picture. Because the "glossary" section doesn't consistently have this information either, the most popular plants seem to have less information about them than other plants.
This is a book with a wealth of information, but the information for each plant is inconsistent, which is frustrating.
This truly is an encylopedia! A huge book with great pictures and information. This is a great addition to her library, and would be great for any gardner
- 洋書 > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Landscape Design > Flowers
- 洋書 > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Landscape Design > Ornamental Plants
- 洋書 > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Landscape Design > Reference
- 洋書 > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Gardening
- 洋書 > Nonfiction > Education > Reference
- 洋書 > Teen & Young Adult