Released in order to coincide with the kick-off of the band's This House Is Not For Sale Tour in North America, this is Bon Jovi's career-spanning box set, a massive and impressive collectible item. Including all 14 studio albums across 25 vinyl LPs, plus an extra disc exclusive to this release, the box set, also, features Jon Bon Jovi's 2 solo records. Super-comprehensive, then, and exceptionally designed, too. Every vinyl album preserves the original look and sound of the originals, with all LP jackets being exact replicas of the original album covers, inner sleeves, with unique custom labels. This is the first time the band's albums from the 2000s are pressed on vinyl, while others receive their first-ever US pressing, or they are being pressed for the first time in decades. Just like any self-respecting box, it features its contents cut on 180-gram heavyweight wax. Additionally, all songs have been mastered to the band's specifications to ensure exceptional audio quality (fans from the '80s, prepare to be blown away by the refreshed old sound - I know I was, and I do not get easily impressed).
Bon Jovi's discography has been boxed in the past, however, this is the first time their entire catalogue is presented in one, all-inclusive release. I am very pleased with the box overall, yet, there are two things I would improve. Although the matte finish is nice, I would rather have the covers glossy - it looks better and more luxurious. More importantly, what is greatly missing from such a pristine package, is a book to accompany the vinyls, with rare photos, liner notes etc. Similar box sets from smaller artists have one, Bon Jovi's box had to have one. Special mention for my favourite set by them, presented here as a 2LP set, as was originally intended back in the day. It holds the record for the hard rock/glam metal album to spawn the most US Top 10 hits (5), it is certified 7x Platinum by the RIAA, and was the first American album ever released in USSR (the answer in the photos below). With over 130 million albums sold, numerous hits, and nearly 3,000 concerts performed in 50 countries for over 35 million fans, Bon Jovi is simply one of the world's most successful bands ever, and "Bon Jovi-The Albums" is simply a monumental release.
Note: Potential buyers should note this: Prior to release, the box set was available on amazon.com for $331.34, and on amazon.co.uk for £199.81 (=$250). While searching, I found it on amazon.fr for €281 (=$300). At the time of writing, it costs $443.64, so, make sure you check different websites before ordering.
List of contents:
1. Bon Jovi (1984) - single LP
2. 7800° Fahrenheit (1985) - single LP
3. Slippery when wet (1986) - single LP
4. New Jersey (1988) - 2LP gatefold
5. Keep the faith (1992) - 2LP gatefold*
6. These days (1995) - 2LP with 2 bonus tracks previously unavailable*
7. Crush (2000) - 2LP gatefold**
8. Bounce (2002) - single LP**
9. Have a nice day (2005) - 2LP gatefold**
10. Lost highway (2007) - single LP**
11. The circle (2009) - 2LP gatefold**
12. What about now (2013) - 2LP gatefold**
13. Burning bridges (2015) - single LP**
14. This house is not for sale (2016) - single LP gatefold
15. Extras - exclusive 10-track compilation featuring “Always” and international rarities
16. Blaze of glory (Jon Bon Jovi) (1990) - single LP
17. Destination anywhere (Jon Bon Jovi) (1997) - 2LP gatefold**
* first-ever vinyl US pressing
** first time on vinyl
PS: Something to "always" remember:
Jimmy shoes busted both his legs, trying to learn to fly
From a second story window, he just jumped and closed his eyes
His momma said he was crazy - he said, "Momma, I've got to try.
Don't you know that all my heroes died?
And I guess I'd rather die than fade away"