Consumption tax is only collected in cases where the order’s delivery address is located in Japan. Amazon.co.jp collects a 5% consumption tax on all goods and services provided whenever you place an order (delivered within Japan). Please also be aware of the following points regarding consumption tax:
When the order is shipped to addresses within Japan, Amazon.co.jp collects a 5% consumption tax on all items and services. Visit this page and find important points about consumption tax.
- Consumption tax is also collected on gift-wrapping fees, shipping fees, and handling fees.
- Consumption tax is not charged for purchases of Amazon Gift Certificates. However, consumption tax is collected in cases where you use an Amazon Gift Certificate to pay for a purchase and that purchase is sent to a delivery address located within Japan.
- Consumption tax is not collected on pre-payment cards. Although the system will display these tax-inclusive, pre-payment cards are in fact tax-exempt items.
- Consumption tax is not collected on MP3s or software downloads.
- The item price and any gift-wrapping fees, shipping fees, and handling fees aredisplayed as being tax-inclusive. Additionally, each item’s tax-included price collects 5% tax on the price of the item itself, and in cases where a fraction is present in the final number, is rounded up to the nearest whole number.