You could think of Setting Up LAMP as four books in one, butit's actually something much more valuable: a single volume thatpresents the open-source technologies known collectively asLAMP—Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP—as tightlydovetailed components of today's most affordable and effectiveplatform for building dynamic web-based applications.
Each technology has uses outside of this context, of course, butwithin it they form something greater than the sum of their parts.This book shows you how to take full advantage of this power,walking you through all the steps required to lay your Linuxfoundation, install and configure your Apache web server, and thenbegin using PHP to access content stored in MySQL. Here are a fewof the specific topics you'll find covered inside:
- Installing and configuring qmail with support for IMAP, POP3,SMTP, virtual domains, spam filtering, and antivirus
- Managing system users and groups
- Configuring your network
- Creating a custom firewall script using IP tables
- Recognizing when a system is in distress
- Handling MySQL database replication
- Configuring virtual domains
- Writing a basic PHP script that integrates with MySQL
If you're new to all of this, you'll quickly get to where youneed to be to start developing and deploying the higher-levelpieces of your web application. Even if you have experience withone or all of these technologies, this book—including itsquick-start installation appendix—is a resource you'll wantclose by whenever you're setting up or fine-tuning your LAMPsystem.