An American master in 24-bit, 96khz sound, available on both CD and DVD.
Released to celebrate the 95th birthday of Elliott Carter this year - an amazing figure who remains one of America's most active and vital composers. This collection combines two of his quintets with two major works for voice(s) and ensemble, and two recent, extraordinary miniatures.
* The recordings were made by artists who have had a long association with Carter's music.
* Elliott Carter supervised all of the recordings.
* The Quintet for Piano & Strings was recorded by its dedicatees immediately after its premiere tour.
* Fragment II was specially written for The Arditti Quartet as a gift by Carter in honor of their winning the prestigious Siemens Prize.
* Liner notes by Carter specialist Paul Griffiths. * Debut recording of one of New York's finest new music groups, Ensemble Sospeso. ADDITIONAL DVD-VERSION FEATURES:
* First release of acclaimed Dutch director Frank Scheffer's film of the Quintet for Piano & Strings, as performed by Ursula Oppens and The Arditti Quartet.
* 40-minute video interview with Elliott Carter, Irvine Arditti and Ursula Oppens in conversation with Ensemble Sospeso's Joshua Cody, directed by Tim Chu.
* Contains all of the music in uncompressed 24-bit PCM sound (playable on all DVD players).