The power of Core Data allows iOS developers to efficiently store and retrieve application data using familiar object-oriented paradigms. Pro Core Data for iOS explains both how and why to use Core Data for data storage, from simple to advanced techniques. Covering common and advanced persistence patterns, this book prepares any iOS developer to store and retrieve data accurately and proficiently.
Lots of iOS development books touch on Core Data, taking you through a few mainstream use cases for storing and retrieving data in your iOS applications. In Pro Core Data for iOS, however, we take you further into Core Data and show you how to leverage the power of this data framework.
After reading this book, youll be able to answer all of these questions:
Pro Core Data for iOS
- What are all the parts of Core Data, and how do they interact?
- How do I create my own custom store?
- Should I use plain NSManagedObject instances or custom classes?
- How do I undo and redo Core Data actions?
- How do I filter, sort, and aggregate data?
- What is faulting, and why should I care?
- Suppose I want to change my data model; how do I migrate my users data?
delves into these and other Core Data questions. With explanations, diagrams, code samples, and working explanations, this book will make you a Core Data pro!
What youll learn
- Organize data appropriately
- Persist data efficiently
- Use Apples tools effectively
- Build Core Data applications
- Use Core Data in advanced settings
- Version and migrate data as your applications evolve
Who this book is for
All iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch developers whose applications manage any amount of data.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Understanding Core Data
- Storing Data: SQLite and Other Options
- Creating a Data Model
- Working with Data Objects
- Refining Result Sets
- Tuning Performance and Memory Usage
- Versioning and Migrating Data
- Using Core Data in Advanced Applications
is president and chief executive officer of Majorspot, Inc., and developer of several iPhone and iPad apps, including Ghostwriter Notes, My Spending, iBudget, and Chess Puzzle Challenge. He is an expert developer and technical lead for Availity, LLC, based in Jacksonville, Florida. He earned his masters degree in computer science from the University of Nice in France. He moved to the U.S. to develop software in artificial intelligence at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He now lives in Jacksonville, with his wife, Kelly, and their two children.Rob Warner
is a senior technical staff member for Availity, LLC, based in Jacksonville, Florida, where he works with various teams and technologies to deliver solutions in the healthcare sector. He co-authored The Definitive Guide to SWT and JFace
(Apress, 2004), and he blogs at Grailbox.com. He earned his bachelors degree in English from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He lives in Jacksonville with his wife, Sherry, and their five children.