This book is an excellent tool for:
1. Learning the different types and Latin music.
2. Practicing the rhythms with the CD.
3. Learning chords--both the names of them and how they fit together.
4. Learning to play fast--that CD does not slow down for you!
5. I haven't tried yet, but I think it would be easy to improvise over the CD--a great way to study the Latin Jazz.
This is wonderful and I'm excited to practice a song and pop in the CD to test myself. I've gained stamina, have become more comfortable with the rhythms, and have deepened my knowledge of chords and music theory (not becuase it is explained, but because it was explained to me as a kid and now that I am practicing it this way, it is all coming together). I'm so happy with this book/CD.